Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Below the E

Tonight as I climbed into my car to begin my 30-minute commute home, I noticed that dammit, I was still on Empty. I know, I know, the car can't magically fill its own gas tank. But still. I had forgotten during the day, and when I was on my way home I wanted nothing more than to drive straight there. But it was not meant to be.

So as I drove up and down the hilly slopes on the "secret backway" to my house, doing the accelerate/coast routine, no A/C, no radio (does this really help, dad? once you said it did...i still believe...) I called my friend Tamara, who incidentally, has the same car as I do. This has come in handy at times, and today was no exception.

Me: Hi. How far below the E have you gone?
Her: Hi. Way, way below. Probably 10-15 miles below. (baby screeching in the background as she, too, was commuting)
Me: Really? Because I'm right on the E, but not yet below.
Her: Oh, you're fine -- this weekend in Houston we really pushed it, way below the E, and we made it.
Me: Ok, thanks. I'm glad we have the same car.

And so on and so forth.

I stayed on the phone with her, for comfort, until I glided into the gas station parking lot on nothing but faint gasoline fumes. I made it, once again.

And I say to you, everyone should have a friend they can call when they're coasting below the E. I won't go all the way into the metaphor here, I will just say that I count my blessings every day.

No comments: