Sunday, September 25, 2005

Better than ice cream

I am very fond of a certain ice cream…concoction. This delight is most excellent, a huge treat, and I look forward to it pretty much anytime I'm not partaking in it. But like anything divine, it is somewhat off limits and not something I can have all the time – as much as I may crave it. This sometimes makes me sad and even frustrated, but deep down I understand that if I could have it whenever I wanted, it wouldn't be nearly as sweet, now would it?

You can be sure, though, that when I do allow myself to partake? I enjoy it immensely. Every last drop. I lick the bowl and save the spoon. It is always worth the wait, and I am completely sated -- until next time. It isn't something that rules my thoughts, but it's nice to know that this treat is out there, whenever I want to look at it, look forward to it, indulge in it.

But not tonight. Instead, here I sit on my couch, a geriatric kitty staring and tap-tap-tapping on my arm, the TV muted so I can think and write about my current craving. It is the end of a long day of nothing for me. I have done very little but nap, watch TV, play on the computer, and think about ice cream. But I made it this far without caving, I'm in the home stretch. I just need to make it to bedtime and I'll be fine…until tomorrow.

This knowledge doesn't make it any easier to do without. And I'm quite sure my dreams tonight will be filled with tons of buttercream frosted, sugary sweets with lovely crunchy bits, tantalizing whipped cream, and lots – LOTS – of chocolate.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Crazy MomCat said...

You're doing better than I have tonight. What is it with female hormones driving this craving for salt, salt, salt monthly? GRRR!

I like your post title...good ol' Sarah M...

Dipu said...

"Ice cream," eh...?

Hmmm....