Tuesday, November 02, 2004

About anxiety...

So here it is election day, and it's been totally stressing me out. Add to that my usual work stresses and i'm a basket case. Luckily i'm going to watch the election results from my friend's hot tub with much alcohol, but still... I remember last time... there's no guarantee that the horror will be decided by tomorrow.

Last election I was in Paris with my mom on Nov. 2. Of course we had both voted early, and of course our votes cancelled each other out. It was really odd being so far away and detached from election day. I remember waking up in Paris expecting to see who was president, and the weirdness of having it still up in the air. Little did we know how long it was going to drag out... Everywhere we went where we opened our mouths (we tried to "blend in" mostly, which meant not speaking) French people would laugh and ask us what we thought of the election. Nice. Not one of my proudest American moments. There was a lot of French chuckling and rolling of French eyes. But I have to say, being in another country sort of took the edge off. No such luck this time -- I'm obsessively checking the news for updates (which won't even begin to happen for a couple more hours) and chatting with my other obsessed work friends. Watching the clock. Waiting.

No matter what happens, when this is all over at least I can start speaking to my dad again. I so hope I don't have to eat crow for the next 4 years...

No comments: